Saturday, September 24, 2005

GRANDPARENT'S DAY

Lauren ( 6 ) called me yesterday.

It was Grandparents day at her school. We live too far away to go and so she called me instead with a run down of the day.

There was only one other student in her class that didn't have a grandparent there. ( guilt, guilt).

The call went like this.

Hello, Bama, this is Lauren. Happy Grandparents Day!

Thank you Lauren, are you having a fun day?

I'm sorry that I couldn't be there like I was last year.

Me too, Bama.

Why don't you make an announcement to your class about how much your Grandmother loves you?

I'm not allowed to make announcements, Bama!

You could stand on your chair and shout. My Bama loves me!

Ohhh, Bama, I would get in so much trouble if I stood on my chair!

OK...it is just important that YOU know how much I love you and miss you.

I know, Bama. I love you too!

Ahhhh, Bama....Don't tell me to do things that could get me in trouble.

OK Lauren, I won't do that again.

Good, Bama because we need to listen and do what we are told.

OK Lauren, I'll remember.

Bye, sweetie!

Bye, Bama!

AHHHH, the reprimand of a 6 year old really cuts to the quick!

Bama    aka  Mary Louise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel.  This school year, for the first time, my daughter's family lives in my school district.  In fact, I watch the girls before and after school.  But on Grandparent's day, we had plans we'd made long before.  The nine-year-old told me she cried, but then said, "It's OK."

I felt like a worm.   And promised her it won't happen again, unless somebody is in the hospital, or dead.